DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS

Even though I have been dreaming of a white Christmas, I will happy settle for a rainy one. The past few days have been the epitome of my favorite winter weather in northern California: rain on and off all day with a few five-minute downpours. If I hadn't forgotten my rain boots at school, I would be outside jumping in puddles like a six-year-old. I just hope it lasts through Tuesday. Curling up in my pajamas on the couch, rain tapping on the window, hot cinnamon rolls for breakfast with my family, and Home Alone in the DVD player... that sounds like the perfect Christmas to me.

Speaking of the perfect Christmas, I thought it would be fun to put together a list of all of the things that have become Christmas traditions for my family and share it here:
  • Waking up when it is still dark outside and wrapping up in warm blankets in front of the tree while opening presents with my brother and our parents.
  • Eating cinnamon rolls and a family recipe referred to as "Christmas breakfast" because we only have it on Christmas morning. (I have no idea what it is actually called; I just know it includes eggs, bread, and cheese.)
  • Watching a Christmas movie or cartoon (usually Home Alone, Santa Clause Is Coming To Town, or How The Grinch Stole Christmas) on Christmas night before falling asleep.
  • Snacking on cheese, crackers, and salami throughout the day instead of eating a huge meal. (Instead, we always have our big Christmas dinner - honey-baked ham, mashed potatoes & gravy, apple pie, etc - on Christmas Eve with my grandmother.)
  • Listening to the best Christmas music: Dean Martin ("Let It Snow"), Frank Sinatra ("Jingle Bells"), Bing Crosby ("Santa Clause Is Coming To Town"), and Michael BublĂ© ("White Christmas"). (I love Blake Shelton's "Home", Kelly Clarkson's "Grown-Up Christmas List", and Colbie Caillat's "Santa Baby", too.)
  • This year, it's just going to be the four of us on Christmas for the first time in several years, so we are starting a new tradition and going out to a movie. We haven't decided what we're going to see yet, but if I had to guess, This Is 40 will be it. 
I would love to hear your Christmas traditions, too, so please feel free to share a link to yours in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...